Monday, February 25, 2013

Venn Diagrams

I draw Venn diagrams rectangularly.  If the Venn diagram is more of a joke or for show I will use circles, since they will not need any amount of in-depth information.  But for the majority of true comparison through Venn diagram, I draw them with square edges.

The tendency when drawing them is to make the middle section very small.  This is a natural response due to the nature of the intersecting circles and inconsistencies in estimation.


The middle section - what the two regions have in common - is usually the most informative in any comparative analysis, and suffers greatly from reduced space.  It becomes very hard to write and it doesn't look good.

My design, using rectangular sections, allows for much more space in the middle, and makes it easier to write full lines of text.


In summary, for presentations and jokes (and logic) use circles, but for more practical, written applications try the rectangle method.

No comments:

Post a Comment