Wednesday, September 19, 2012

It Started as a Normal Trip to the Eye Doctor

It started as a normal trip to the eye doctor.  I signed in, sat down, avoided awkward eye contact with others in the waiting room, and proceeded into the back when my name was called.  I sat down in the chair and answered some questions.  Then, when looking for any issues, the nurse accidentally dropped some radioactively unstable chemical into my eyes!  She claimed it was merely so that they could inspect my eyes for any further problems, but I knew better.  No mention of the mysterious accident arose until the end of the appointment, where the nurse slid me a pair of cheap self-assembly origami sunglasses.  "To protect me from the sun" was what she claimed, but we both knew the real purpose: to make sure no one could see any evidence from the accident.

I returned home, and to my disbelief, the freak accident had not only made people stare at my silly sunglasses on the way out of the clinic, but had also given me superpowers.  I could see very clearly in the dark, clearer than I ever could before.  Turning off all the lights in a room, I could function as if they were lit.  Excited about my newfound abilities, I began devising a plan to take advantage of my situation.  Grabbing a pen and a stack of post-it notes, I wrote down ideas for money-making schemes, the title of my autobiography, and a list of late-night shows where I would have interviews.

This was short-lived, however, as my amazing sight slowly disappeared.  The feeling was like reaching into your pants pocket to find money you left there, only to pull out a single one dollar bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment