Today I was thinking about a piece of advice a friend gave me a week ago. It wasn't all that profound, and he said it casually. I thought about what it meant, why I reacted to it in a certain way, and how I could use it to improve myself in the future.
As I thought it over in my mind, it occurred to me how he had no idea that I was giving his comment so much attention. Although he said the statement, he probably never thought it would have such an impact on me, even if only for a short while. I saw him again today, and I made no notion of the positive effect his advice had on me.
Most of the time we don't realize the impact of a small interaction, such as a compliment or a polite gesture. The beneficial effects don't immediately return to us, giving us no confirmation of their success. Like a message in a bottle sent out to sea, the destination and impact of the message is unknown. But if you have a piece of paper, a pen, and a bottle, you should consider making one.
No comments:
Post a Comment