Tuesday, October 16, 2012

2012 Presidential Debate #2

The idea of a "town hall" format would make it seem like the audience would be asking the most questions, but it seemed like the moderator tried to redirect the flow too much.  In addition, all of the participants were pre-assigned in order to cover a variety of topics.  Because of this, the whole debate felt sort of like a facade of a town hall debate, undermined by the predestined structure.

As for the candidates themselves, both responded well to the questions they received.  Like I said in my post about the first debate, it seemed like there was too much repeating of old points.  I understand that they want to get their point across, but they kept fighting back and forth with the same statistics that I have heard many times.

My favorite moment of the debate was when Obama discussed government-provided contraception.  He said that he wouldn't want any woman to be denied contraception, and then made a reference to his own daughters.  It was a really funny and awkward moment and I don't think many people caught it.

No comments:

Post a Comment