Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Event Anticipation

I go through essentially the same cycle whenever I am thinking about or preparing for an event.  It doesn't matter what event it is - it could be as small as buying Skittles from a vending machine or as large as leaving on some long trip.

While still a good ways off, I imagine how perfectly it will go.  In this scenario in my head, everything and everyone acts abnormally well.  On its way down, my pack of Skittles will knock over a precariously leaning bag of chips, and I will also find a few quarters left over in the change tray.

As the event approaches, however, I begin to fear the worst.  Not only will I have to try seven times to insert my dollar, the Skittles will get stuck before they fall off the rack.


I don't want to leave the impression that I am paranoid about everything - for many events this trend is minimal or nonexistent.  But I think it's a valuable observation to keep in mind when I find myself thinking too much about the details of some future event.

No comments:

Post a Comment