Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Diminishing Value of Art

Because of improvements in computer software, art and design has become more accessable to the everyday user.  Previously basic word processing programs are now capable of adding complicated shapes and effects, and manipulating advanced typography.  Similarly, photos can be edited by the most casual of users with applications on their phones.  People can take their own home movies and edit films with ease and accessibility.  This access has convinced people that creative design is not particularly valuable.

What has diminished the value of artistic talent recently have been the artists themselves.  I have seen many people with high levels of talent do work for other people for free.  Enter this logo design competition!  If you win, you can feel good about yourself!

Even worse is when artists do work for someone else, then ask merely for acknowledgment or promotion of themselves in return.  All I want is credit at the end / a link to my page at the bottom. What they don't realize is that they are manipulating themselves into working for free.  (I use the term "art" loosely - this trend is especially prevalent in music production.)

I am against free art.  If anyone asks me to draw or design anything of substantial value, I'm going to ask for payment of some kind.  Even if it's a close friend or family member, at least a token payment is required.

If your art is good, it doesn't matter how old you are or what educational background you have; make sure you aren't contributing to the declining value of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment