Recently I drew two pictures for two separate people. They didn't ask for them, but I thought it would be fun and nice to do. I learned a considerable amount in making them, but after I gave them to the people, I felt as if their reaction was underwhelming. They both genuinely appreciated my gift, but it didn't seem like they actually understood the process behind making the drawings. It seemed like I spent a lot of time and effort building up to presenting it to them, only to have a normal response, which I could've gotten by stealing and photoshopping someone else's work from online.
This made me think of a custom card I received a few weeks ago. It was handmade, with matted pieces of paper, stamps, and little buttons and decals. I know that my thanks I showed them was not up to the standard they probably expected. At the time it seemed pretty straightforward - just glue some pieces of paper, ink some stamps and voilĂ ! But just like my drawings, it probably took more time than that.
No comments:
Post a Comment