Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Metaphorical Moments

Sometimes I experience normal events, but am struck by them for some reason, and think of them on a metaphorical level.  Today I was exiting a building where there were two separate doors.  One was slightly more out of the way than the other, but both led to the same place outside.  I went to the closer door, but was unable to open it like I normally do.  I pushed again, and since the door didn't budge, I went around to the other door.  As I was walking to the other door, I saw a small kid of about eight or nine walking towards the closer door.  I thought about telling him that the door was closed, but he was moving quickly and din't look up, so I didn't.  Upon exiting the other door, I saw him outside, the first door closing slowly behind him.

This was just a normal event, but I stopped and thought about the situation for a few seconds - not about what mechanics of the door could have failed, but rather how this scenario could apply to larger life actions.  I'll let you think about it on your own.

Another situation like this happened a few weeks ago.  I was talking to someone I just met, and quickly introduced two of my friends without saying their names, along the lines of "these are two of my friends."  The two of them were pretty far away, so imagine the introduction was like someone giving a tour to someone new.  I then made an off-handed (positive) comment about a quality of one of my friends, "George."  The person I just met asked, "Which one's George?"  I looked at both of them, one of whom was Asian and the other African-American.  For some reason this struck me as odd.  Of course I knew which one was George, but there was no distinguishing feature of the name to determine who it was.  I replied with "That's a good question," like some monk sitting at the top of the mountain who answers all questions with questions.

Metaphorical moments that are more concise than these elaborate plots happen every once in a while, and I write them down.  I have a list going, and I have a cool idea of what to do with all of them when I get enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment