Occasionally when I have a particularly not-so-funny joke, right before I tell it, I am unable to stop laughing. For some reason it hits me just right, and for a brief period of time I see it as the funniest thing in the world. Then, by the time the joke is told, I no longer find it funny, and everyone realizes how mediocre of a joke it was the whole time.
I think this is an appropriate graphical representation:
The tricky part about accidentally laugh-hyping jokes is the brief period where there is no way out. Right after the laughter has cooled down, and before the joke has been told is like sitting in the eye of a hurricane. The first option is to tell the joke anyways, and let everyone down. The other option is to not tell the joke, and leave everyone hanging.
The only real way to escape is to have understanding friends, and hope they sympathize with the perils of accidentally laugh-hyping jokes. I guess this post is also a PSA. Hopefully if more people know about it we can reduce the consequences of it.

No comments:
Post a Comment