I've seen a lot of webcomics that focus on their poor drawing style, naming their comic something along the lines of PoorlyDrawnComics. Similarly, I saw a website for a designer that said he was a "web design wannabe." He went on in another paragraph to sarcastically talk about how he is isn't that good of a web designer.
A little bit of downtalking yourself can be seen as humble or even entertaining. A comedian on a late night talk show might reply to a compliment by saying they aren't actually a good comedian. This is an acceptable usage, but there is a fine line between being humble and trashing yourself.
To be fair, I've done this a few times in old posts, saying things like "but then you might think this is a serious blog." Additionally, in the description on the side bar, I say that this blog has "no nutritional value." If I were to start every post with a disclaimer saying how bad it is, people would start believing me.
In general, it is importance to have a mix of humbleness and confidence. When in doubt, lean a little on the side of confidence.
No comments:
Post a Comment