Today I overheard some people complaining. The source of their complaints was a question that they weren't able to figure out. Coincidentally, I knew the answer to their question, and decided to politely interject to hopefully solve their issue.
Upon finishing my explanation, instead of being relieved, they seemed even more irritated. They blew off my explanation, and continued to complain about the difficulty of the question - even though they knew the answer.
I think some people just want to complain. They didn't actually want the answer to their question.
This also happens a lot with people who ask "rhetorical" questions. They might ask, "What should I do in this situation?" After I give my advice (which often actually is the best choice in that scenario, not going to lie), they choose to ignore it, and continue acting helpless.
Some people pretend to be confused or ask about something, but they have no intentions of finding an answer. They would rather stay stuck in their current frame of mind, unwilling to get themselves out of it.
It's like being stuck in a deep pit in the ground. They complain about their situation, but when I tell them there is a ladder on the north side of the pit that they could use to climb out, they refuse to acknowledge my advice. For some reason they would rather stay in the pit than work to get themself out.
What I've learned is that there is no point in helping these people out of the pit. Move on - staying behind will only hold you back.
No comments:
Post a Comment